Careers at Sphere Fluidics
Work With Us
Here at Sphere Fluidics, our aim is to combine expertise and exciting technology to help our customers reach their goals faster and more cost-effectively. None of this would be possible without our team – it’s their knowledge, commitment and enthusiasm that makes us who we are.
We recognise this, and in return, offer a supportive environment that encourages employees to learn and develop. Since we are a forward-thinking company operating in a rapidly-growing industry, we help individual staff members develop and progress in their careers. We offer our employees exciting projects, excellent training, and an attractive compensation package including employee share options, a company Stakeholder Pension Scheme, life insurance and performance-related annual salary increases.
We strongly believe that collaboration drives innovation, and as such, our goal is to build teams of people with a shared passion for integrating cell biology, microfluidics and leading-edge engineering into innovative solutions.
If you think this sounds like you, then please see below for current job opportunities.
Current Employment Opportunities at Sphere Fluidics
Job Title: Software Engineer / Senior Software Engineer
(Physics and Engineering Group)
Location of job: Cambridge
Sphere Fluidics Limited is an established Life Sciences company, which is developing new single cell analysis systems for biotherapeutics discovery. Due to company growth, we are now looking for a talented individual to join our Physics and Engineering team.
We are looking to recruit a software engineer with proven experience in the development of laboratory instrumentation. The candidate will have a strong technical background gained through working in industry. Experience in design, construction and integration of software with mechanical and electronic systems is essential. The candidate should have proven technical ability and be able to demonstrate direct hands-on approach to problem solving. Self-motivation and a drive towards continual personal and technical improvement is essential. Previous experience working in an R&D environment through to product launch is desirable, though not essential. Previous experience working with electrical, mechanical and optical systems would be advantageous.
Salary range: £40,000-£50,000 per annum.
Essential skills and experience:
- 1st or a 2.1 degree in software engineering (or relevant field).
- Excellent knowledge and hands-on experience with C++.
- Hands-on experience writing software for control of optical, mechanical and electrical systems.
- Experience interfacing software with various sensors and actuators, including, instrument control and data capture.
- Ability to analyse, debug and maintain code developed by others.
- Ability to work as part of a small team, to fast timescales and with strict attention to detail.
- Ability to plan your workload and exercise good time management, juggling priorities across more than one project.
- Self-motivated character, with a passion for developing new technologies.
- Excellent problem solving ability.
- Excellent verbal, documentation and communications skills.
- Some aspects of the role are client facing. You will be required to discuss technical aspects of projects directly with clients – with clear communications and commercial awareness.
- Expertise in producing documentation to support design and development process.
- Proven ability to innovate, build, test and troubleshoot.
In addition, we will favour candidates with skills such as:
- Experience with the following will also be beneficial:
- Kithara, EtherCAT, Real-time/High-speed systems.
- Multi-tasking architectures.
- C#, WPF, MVVM pattern.
- Software architecture and object orientated design.
- Embedded software across the full product life-cycle – design, implementation, test and support.
The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team and should be enthusiastic with excellent team-working and communication skills. If interested, please e-mail your CV to Mel.Blackham@spherefluidics.com and include the title of your target position e.g. “Senior Software Engineer” in the title.
All Sphere Fluidics employees are given an employment package including: competitive salary; employee share options; life insurance and a Stakeholder Pension Scheme. Each employee is also encouraged to develop an annual development plan, including SMART objectives and training needs, as part of their career development. The position will be based in or around Cambridge, UK.
Job Title: Distributor Manager
Sphere Fluidics Limited is an established Life Sciences company, which is developing new instrumentation systems for biological drug discovery. We are looking to recruit a talented individual to join our Commercial Team. The Distributor Manager, is a new role and will be responsible for the management and performance of individual European and possibly Asian countries under their scope including sales, regional marketing programs and technical support for Sphere Fluidics’ distributors. They will ensure fulfilment of geographic and divisional objectives such as: sales quota, product positioning, and expanding the company customer base.
The role reports to the Commercial Director who is based in Cambridge (UK). This is a field based position with some time expected in the Cambridge (UK) office.
Key markets currently under distribution arrangements are European and some Asian countries may be added later.
Salary range: £40,000-£50,000 per annum.
Key Duties, Activities and Responsibilities:
• Supports all product lines to achieve sales plans for the distributor in the specific region.
• Establishes sales goals for each distributor and country in conjunction with appropriate business / marketing / product managers.
• Works closely with marketing to implement plans, develop marketing tools and programs required to meet sales goals for the distributor and country.
• Works closely with Distribution network to evaluate needs in the local market and report it back to the appropriate business / marketing / product managers for action.
• Travels frequently (50 – 70%) to distributor for business review, training, and customer visits to assure adequate emphasis is directed toward product lines.
• Ensures dealers are properly trained and equipped to sell the technology and effectively position them against competitive brands also sold into their markets.
• Provides feedback and recommendations on suitability of dealers for the products and the markets.
• Identify, select and negotiate Distribution Agreements for appropriate distribution channels in each country.
• Ensure development, refinement, implementation, management, and measurement of business performance consistent with company objectives.
• Develop, implement, and manage plans and tactics for the achievement of annual revenue targets.
• Provides Sales and Marketing management with insight and feedback gained through distributor and customer interaction to maximize efforts and efficiencies, productivity impact, and decision-making.
• Creates and maintains a favourable image for the company with distributors and customers in the marketplace as a whole.
• Performs other professional commercial duties as may be required or identified.
• Minimum of a degree in the scientific field (preferably in a Life Sciences subject).
• Sound experience in field sales or field application work, with direct distribution support experience preferred.
• Proven track record of success in delivering sales goals in multiple environments.
• Demonstrable experience selling life sciences instrumentation.
• Experience of working across multiple geographies and proven ability to successfully negotiate Distributor Agreement contracts and manage distributors.
• Proven track record in development of a new business in a competitive market.
• Track record of closing contracts, generating revenue and surpassing sales quotas.
• Knowledge of and ability to apply intermediate to high level of sales and marketing techniques in a technical environment.
• Good computer and numerical skills.
• A driving license would be useful.
• Excellent closing and negotiation skills; ability to successfully work on deals involving complex contract negotiations.
• Proven ability in consultative selling.
• Self-starter with ability to prioritise business critical activities.
• Ability to establish goals and plan required to meet sales objectives.
• Excellent technical knowledge and aptitude.
• Ability to work from broadly defined guidelines and exercises independent judgment, creativity and self-motivation.
• Strong verbal and written communications, organizational, multi-tasking and computer skills essential.
• Flexibility of schedule to meet changing deadlines including the ability and willingness to travel as required.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
• Able to undertake regular foreign travel and spending time away from home.
• Confidentiality and discretion required.
The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team and should be enthusiastic with excellent team-working and communication skills. If interested, please e-mail your CV to Human.Resources@spherefluidics.com and include the title of your target position e.g. “Distributor Manager” in the title.
All Sphere Fluidics employees are given an employment package including: competitive salary; employee share options; life insurance and auto enrolled in to the Aviva Pension Scheme. Each employee is also encouraged to develop an annual development plan, including SMART objectives and training needs, as part of their career development.
Closing date for applications is 28th April 2017.