Careers at Sphere Fluidics
Work With Us
Here at Sphere Fluidics, our aim is to combine expertise and exciting technology to help our customers reach their goals faster and more cost-effectively. None of this would be possible without our team – it’s their knowledge, commitment and enthusiasm that makes us who we are.
We recognise this, and in return, offer a supportive environment that encourages employees to learn and develop. Since we are a forward-thinking company operating in a rapidly-growing industry, we help individual staff members develop and progress in their careers. We offer our employees exciting projects, excellent training, and an attractive compensation package including employee share options, a company Stakeholder Pension Scheme, life insurance and performance-related annual salary increases.
We strongly believe that collaboration drives innovation, and as such, our goal is to build teams of people with a shared passion for integrating cell biology, microfluidics and leading-edge engineering into innovative solutions.
If you think this sounds like you, then please see below for current job opportunities.
Current Employment Opportunities at Sphere Fluidics
Job Title: Software Engineer / Senior Software Engineer
(Physics and Engineering Group)
Location of job: Cambridge
Sphere Fluidics Limited is an established Life Sciences company, which is developing new single cell analysis systems for biotherapeutics discovery. Due to company growth, we are now looking for a talented individual to join our Physics and Engineering team.
We are looking to recruit a software engineer with proven experience in the development of laboratory instrumentation. The candidate will have a strong technical background gained through working in industry. Experience in design, construction and integration of software with mechanical and electronic systems is essential. The candidate should have proven technical ability and be able to demonstrate direct hands-on approach to problem solving. Self-motivation and a drive towards continual personal and technical improvement is essential. Previous experience working in an R&D environment through to product launch is desirable, though not essential. Previous experience working with electrical, mechanical and optical systems would be advantageous.
Salary range: £40,000-£50,000 per annum.
Essential skills and experience:
- 1st or a 2.1 degree in software engineering (or relevant field).
- Excellent knowledge and hands-on experience with C++.
- Hands-on experience writing software for control of optical, mechanical and electrical systems.
- Experience interfacing software with various sensors and actuators, including, instrument control and data capture.
- Ability to analyse, debug and maintain code developed by others.
- Ability to work as part of a small team, to fast timescales and with strict attention to detail.
- Ability to plan your workload and exercise good time management, juggling priorities across more than one project.
- Self-motivated character, with a passion for developing new technologies.
- Excellent problem solving ability.
- Excellent verbal, documentation and communications skills.
- Some aspects of the role are client facing. You will be required to discuss technical aspects of projects directly with clients – with clear communications and commercial awareness.
- Expertise in producing documentation to support design and development process.
- Proven ability to innovate, build, test and troubleshoot.
In addition, we will favour candidates with skills such as:
- Experience with the following will also be beneficial:
- Kithara, EtherCAT, Real-time/High-speed systems.
- Multi-tasking architectures.
- C#, WPF, MVVM pattern.
- Software architecture and object orientated design.
- Embedded software across the full product life-cycle – design, implementation, test and support.
The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team and should be enthusiastic with excellent team-working and communication skills. If interested, please e-mail your CV to Mel.Blackham@spherefluidics.com and include the title of your target position e.g. “Senior Software Engineer” in the title.
All Sphere Fluidics employees are given an employment package including: competitive salary; employee share options; life insurance and a Stakeholder Pension Scheme. Each employee is also encouraged to develop an annual development plan, including SMART objectives and training needs, as part of their career development. The position will be based in or around Cambridge, UK.