Careers at Sphere Fluidics
Work With Us
Here at Sphere Fluidics, our aim is to combine expertise and exciting technology to help our customers reach their goals faster and more cost-effectively. None of this would be possible without our team – it’s their knowledge, commitment and enthusiasm that makes us who we are.
We recognise this, and in return, offer a supportive environment that encourages employees to learn and develop. Since we are a forward-thinking company operating in a rapidly-growing industry, we help individual staff members develop and progress in their careers. We offer our employees exciting projects, excellent training, and an attractive compensation package including employee share options, a Workplace Pension Scheme, life insurance and performance-related annual salary increases.
We strongly believe that collaboration drives innovation, and as such, our goal is to build teams of people with a shared passion for integrating cell biology, microfluidics and leading-edge engineering into innovative solutions.
If you think this sounds like you, then please see below for current job opportunities.
Current Employment Opportunities at Sphere Fluidics
Job Title: Service Engineer
Location of job: Cambridge area / World-Wide as required
Company: Sphere Fluidics Ltd. (Physics and Engineering Group)
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £30,000 – £45,000 per annum
Closing date for applications: 28th August 2017
Are you passionate about making a difference and providing professional service at a high level within the Life Science segment? If so, you might be the person we’re looking for.
Sphere Fluidics Limited is an established Life Sciences Instrumentation company. As a result of our continuing growth, we now have an immediate opening for a Service Engineer to join our business in Cambridge UK, on a permanent basis.
The Service Engineer will be responsible for all aspects of field service support and customer relationship management. The successful candidate will provide complete services on our laboratory based research platforms and Cyto-Mine® system. This will included installation, repairs, preventative maintenance, and instrument qualifications. Our ideal candidate will be customer oriented, an advocate for Sphere Fluidics Ltd. in customer laboratories.
You will become a part of a Service team serving Sphere Fluidics’ customers internationally. You will be based in our HQ in Babraham with 25-50% travel around the UK and some trips abroad.
You will have responsibility for ensuring Sphere Fluidics’ equipment is working at its highest possible quality level and is satisfying customer requirements. Responsible for developing and improving all processes and procedures that directly impact service resolution and responsiveness. Responsible for equipment installation and equipment repair efficiency, preventive maintenance compliance, field resolution and system upgrades. With company growth, there will be opportunity for the right candidate to expand the role to encompass people management responsibility for a team of Field Service Engineers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform on-site installation, repair, maintenance, qualification, and validation of Sphere Fluidics’ systems, in compliance with internal and customer procedures and regulations.
- Installing, repairing, maintenance and instruction of use of instruments to ensure safe and effective customer operations.
- Providing professional and responsive customer support (on-site or remotely) to ensure that the installed instrumentation base is working and maintained reliably and customers are supported in a timely and friendly manner.
- Input into user manual creation and update.
- Review reports and documentation from customers, and inspects malfunctioning product to determine nature and scope of problem.
- Coordinates problem resolution with engineering, customer service, and other personnel to expedite repairs.
- Analyse reports of technical problems to recommend modifications to eliminate future problems.
- Provide a communication link between the customer and the company to help ensure that effective service is provided to the customer.
- Develop and conduct training on the safe operation of the equipment and demonstrate skills to trainees, including both team members and customers.
- Maintain and update the Service Database with all service interactions to enable traceability of work carried out and revision of instruments.
- Generate and update technical documentation for internal and external use as the product develops.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
Education and/or Experience requirements:
- HND or Bachelors Degree in Engineering, Science or related field preferred.
- 3+ years hands-on experience as a Service Engineer is preferred, particularly working with laboratory instrumentation or 3+ years relevant industry experience.
- Working knowledge of: electronics, optics, fluidics, pneumatics and control systems is required.
- Ability to read and understand technical procedures, wiring schematics and engineering drawings.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to establish good customer rapport, write reports and to present to clients in a professional manner.
- Fluent in English.
- Candidates must hold a full international driving licence and passport and be able to pass a CRB and extensive reference check in order to gain access to regional airports.
- Ability to prioritize service requests and produce clear and concise documentation.
- Required to work independently within a customer location (25-50% of the time).
- Extensive walking/standing may be required for 50-75% of the day during servicing/installation days.
- Must possess motor skills appropriate to the task.
- Ability to safely lift 25kg with assistance on occasion.
- Ability to bend, squat, stretch, and reach on a daily basis in a service function.
- Ability to use material handling equipment such as push carts and pallet jacks.
- May be required to wear appropriate personal protective equipment (e.g. lab coats, coveralls, nitrile gloves, safety glasses).
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and safe driving record.
The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team and should be enthusiastic with excellent team-working and communication skills. If interested, please e-mail your CV to Human.Resources@spherefluidics.com and include the title of your target position e.g. “Service Engineer” in the title.
All Sphere Fluidics employees are given an employment package including: competitive salary; employee share options; life insurance and auto enrolled in to the Aviva Pension Scheme. Each employee is also encouraged to develop an annual development plan, including SMART objectives and training needs, as part of their career development. The position will be based in or around Cambridge, UK, when not attending Customer sites.
Job Title: Software Engineer / Senior Software Engineer
(Physics and Engineering Group)
Location of job: Cambridge
Sphere Fluidics Limited is an established Life Sciences company, which is developing new single cell analysis systems for biotherapeutics discovery. Due to company growth, we are now looking for a talented individual to join our Physics and Engineering team.
We are looking to recruit a software engineer with proven experience in the development of laboratory instrumentation. The candidate will have a strong technical background gained through working in industry. Experience in design, construction and integration of software with mechanical and electronic systems is essential. The candidate should have proven technical ability and be able to demonstrate direct hands-on approach to problem solving. Self-motivation and a drive towards continual personal and technical improvement is essential. Previous experience working in an R&D environment through to product launch is desirable, though not essential. Previous experience working with electrical, mechanical and optical systems would be advantageous.
Salary range: £40,000-£50,000 per annum.
Essential skills and experience:
- 1st or a 2.1 degree in software engineering (or relevant field).
- Excellent knowledge and hands-on experience with C++.
- Hands-on experience writing software for control of optical, mechanical and electrical systems.
- Experience interfacing software with various sensors and actuators, including, instrument control and data capture.
- Ability to analyse, debug and maintain code developed by others.
- Ability to work as part of a small team, to fast timescales and with strict attention to detail.
- Ability to plan your workload and exercise good time management, juggling priorities across more than one project.
- Self-motivated character, with a passion for developing new technologies.
- Excellent problem solving ability.
- Excellent verbal, documentation and communications skills.
- Some aspects of the role are client facing. You will be required to discuss technical aspects of projects directly with clients – with clear communications and commercial awareness.
- Expertise in producing documentation to support design and development process.
- Proven ability to innovate, build, test and troubleshoot.
In addition, we will favour candidates with skills such as:
- Experience with the following will also be beneficial:
- Kithara, EtherCAT, Real-time/High-speed systems.
- Multi-tasking architectures.
- C#, WPF, MVVM pattern.
- Software architecture and object orientated design.
- Embedded software across the full product life-cycle – design, implementation, test and support.
The successful candidate will work in a multi-disciplinary team and should be enthusiastic with excellent team-working and communication skills. If interested, please e-mail your CV to Mel.Blackham@spherefluidics.com and include the title of your target position e.g. “Senior Software Engineer” in the title.
All Sphere Fluidics employees are given an employment package including: competitive salary; employee share options; life insurance and a Stakeholder Pension Scheme. Each employee is also encouraged to develop an annual development plan, including SMART objectives and training needs, as part of their career development. The position will be based in or around Cambridge, UK.